Ask us!

There are a lot of questions, concerns, and anxieties when opening a pop up shop. Some of the most frequent questions we have received are answered below. Have more? Email us! 

How long can I rent Boombox?
The Boomboxes are available for rent from 2 week to 3 months.

What type of business can rent Boombox?
There are five main business types that can rent Boombox:

  • Goods - clothing, shoes. accessories, beauty, homeware, furniture, objects
  • Services - professional, consulting, promotional, marketing
  • Food - prepackaged food and pastries with limited to no onsite prep
  • Beverage - nonalcoholic with potential for alcohol at special events only - additional paperwork required
  • Arts - music, theater, gallery, cinema, performance in the space and on the plaza

What type of business cannot rent Boombox?
While a range of businesses can rent the space, businesses that offer gambling, alcohol sales and are not licensed to operate in the State of Illinois cannot rent the space.

Can I rent with another business?
Absolutely! We have had up to 4 businesses sharing the space at a time which created a dynamic space, helped with managing staff in the space and offered more exposure for all involved. Logistically, we would put all businesses on the lease agreement and provide up to two sets of keys to be shared among the group. 

Do I have to pay for all of my time in the Boombox up front with rent?
No. We require 50% payment at the start of your rental dates and the remaining 50% at the end. 

Do you offer discounted rates for nonprofits?
Yes we do! Nonprofits enjoy a 50% discount. Fill out the application and select "nonprofit" in the business type dropdown. You will be required to provide a copy of your tax exempt letter to complete the contract. 

I just started my business and want to rent. What do I need to do?
Congrats! If you just started and have your business license in process, fill out the application and make a note in the comments section. We can work with you to find the right pathway to rental. Email us.

Why do you need my Tax ID?
For all businesses, whether run by one person or a team of 20, we need to verify that your Illinois Tax ID for individual sales and Federal EIN are current. Every legal business needs this. This allows us to get you an Itinerant Merchant License to operate and sell goods/services out of the space during the dates you are renting. We can help you obtain these items if you do not yet have them. Email us.

Do I need a business license to operate out of the space?
Yes, if there are going to be financial transactions. On your behalf, we complete and obtain an Itinerant Merchant License in the City of Chicago for your business. No waiting at city hall, no hold music, no additional fees. We have created a streamlined process to get you into the Boombox. 

What if I'm not going to be selling anything?
Depending on the type of activity in the space; nonprofit, art or marketing event, then we will not need to get an Itinerant Merchant license. 

I want my own Boombox for my business. Can you help?
Absolutely! We would love to talk to you further about how you can leverage available grants, loans and sites to potentially have your own pop up shop. Email us.

Can you make me a shipping container high rise, strip mall, home, shed, doghouse?
Yes and no. Email us.